Curriculum for Excellence

Successful Learners, Confident Individuals, Effective Contributors, Responsible Citizens

Tuesday 25 February 2014

Annabella Daintith's 500 word story competition entry.

A Special Kind

 

I feel lonely, different. I don’t really feel as if I belong here, on this planet, I mean, this world. I don’t fit in with humans, no matter how hard I try! My kind just isn’t common on Earth. We are rare; our species is extraordinary, unique. Most people don’t believe us, to them we’re just unimaginable, because of that, we’re forced to isolate ourselves. There’s only one person that has ever made a difference to me, Ruby Murphy. A child, seven years of age. Ruby lives in the flat beneath me in Kirkwall. Most nights we talk, but my mum doesn’t like it when we talk aloud so we talk in our heads. Well she hasn’t said she doesn’t like it but I know. That happens quite a lot though.

Tonight, me and Ruby speak.

“Hello? Ruby? Are you awake?” I communicate.

“Hi? Um… who are you again? I don’t remember. Are you ok? I don’t think I can remember my name! Is it Ruby? That’s a nice name!” says the girl.

“You know me! I’m your best friend! Grace?! Grace White!” and then, suddenly, we’re cut off. Alone.

 

“School Grace!” mum calls. “Are you ready yet?!”

Often, I’m alone. Alone walking to school. Alone in the playground. Alone at home. The first bell to ring is for everyone to line up at the schools front door, ready to go in and start work.

Two times Seven =

Two times nine =

Two times five =

Whizzing through each one, like a hungry dog would chew through succulent bacon, thinking about getting home, to where I’m safe. Eleven O’clock! Break! I’m going to start my new book! In peace?!

“Ruby?” I try.

No reply.

Oh well…

I tiptoe back inside to get my book –the boy in the striped pyjamas. But as I return, a large, rough hand stops me in my tracks.

“Oi! Where do you think you’re going, Einstein?!” came an all-too-familiar voice. I sighed. “Not happy to see us are ya?!” the bully shouted insistently. I bruise my leg in a failed attempt to break out. I wince in pain as Hailey blocks my way out, signalling for Georgia and Katie to prevent me from escaping. I summon all my strength in panic and then FLASH! A white blaze! I awake only to find I have appeared in my own home, where I feel most safe. I have to tell Ruby! She’ll have this power aswell!

“Ruby!” I struggle, but no reply. She’s been acting strange recently. Ignoring me. It’s as if she’s here but she’s not? She doesn’t remember ANYTHING!

“I’m gone…” is the last I hear….

The End…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment